Did you know that:
- Over 50% of all poisonings occur in children less than 5 years old.
- Most poisonings in children happen just before lunch and before dinner when children are hungry and are supervised less.
- Many poisonings occur while the products are being used not while they are stored.
- The most common “poisons” in children are: Cough / Cold medicines, vitamins, fluoride, antibiotics, cleaners and plants.
- Product labels may have first aid instructions that are incorrect (or outdated)
- “Child-proof” caps are not child-PROOF, they are only child-RESISTANT.
- You have a Poison Control Center to help you when a poisoning occurs.
Home Poison Safety – Make sure that:
- All household products are stored out of reach of children and pets.
- All household products and medicines are kept in original containers and not stored in food or beverage containers.
- Food, medicines and household products are each stored separately.
- All medicines are locked up.
- No medicines are left on counter tops, window sills, vanities, dressers or bedside tables.
- No cleaning supplies are kept under sink in kitchen or bathroom.
- Never refer to medicine as candy.
- Always read and follow label directions before using.
- All old, unused, unlabeled medicines are discarded properly.
- All containers are rinsed out thoroughly before discarding safely.
- Poison-Proof your Home checklist
To give you a start in poison proofing your home, here is a list of SOME common potentially toxic substances. Go through each room. Make sure these are properly stored out of reach of small children and pets.
- Ant/Roach/Bug Killers
- Automatic Dishwasher Detergent
- Carpet/Upholstery Cleaners
- Drain Cleaners
- Fabric Softeners (liquid and sheet)
- Furniture Polish
- Medications – Prescription and non-prescription
- Metal Cleaners
- Oven Cleaners
- Rust removers
- Vitamins / Fluoride / Iron Pills
- House plants
- Jewelry cleaners
- Medications – prescriptions / non-prescription
- Nail polish / remover
- Perfumes / colognes
- Shoe cleaners / polishes
- Family Room
- House plants
- Stereo / video cleaners
- Aftershave lotion
- Baby powder
- Bath oil
- Deodorizers / sanitizers
- Drain Cleaners
- Hair removers
- Medications – prescription and non-prescription
- Rubbing alcohol
- Shampoo / hair products
- Toilet bowl cleaners
Garage / Basement / Storage
- Gasoline / Kerosene / Barbecue starter
- Lighter Fluid
- Mothballs / Moth Flakes
- Paint / paint remover / thinner
- Pesticides / insecticides
- Rat / mouse poisons
- Weed killers
- Windshield Cleaners
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Disc (calculator)
- Use products with child resistant caps
- Never call medicine candy
- Store all drugs and chemicals in their original containers and out of reach of children, preferably in a locked cabinet
- Never put chemicals in food containers
- Do not take medications in front of children, they may imitate you.
- Read and follow label directions on all products before using them.
- Be aware that some product labels have outdated first aid advice. Call Poison Control Center for current information
- Make sure that all old, unused and unlabeled medicines are discarded properly. All containers should be rinsed out thoroughly before discarding safely.
- Keep phone number for the Poison Control Center attached to your telephone.
- Make sure babysitters, friends and relatives are aware of the Poison Control Center number.
- Purchase ipecac syrup from local drug store and keep on hand at all times. Use only after advice from the Poison Control Center or your physician.